The Art Students League is a member-run organization that is seeking an Artistic/Executive Director who has professional experience demonstrating a deep aesthetic appreciation for art and a commitment to education. The Artistic/Executive Director, as the face of the League, must have strong interpersonal and communication skills. This extraordinary individual will possess the skills to honor the historical traditions of the Art Students League while addressing growth and diversity.
- Demonstrate an appreciation for the creative process and teaching of art across genres.
- Understand and honor the League’s unique character as an association of independent ateliers and be dedicated to upholding our iconic mission.
- Strengthen the sense of community among artists at the League and beyond.
- Lead educational art programming and reinforce the League’s traditions of instructor
and student independence.
- Support and be a resource for League instructors and students.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Provide seasoned management oversight of the operations of the League.
- Lead and guide long-range strategic planning with the Board of Control and the membership.
- Instill a culture of communication, collaboration, and transparency with staff.
- Ensure that the faculty is an integral part of the decision-making process.
- Realize robust development goals to ensure the financial stability of the League so that
we can continue to provide affordable programs to students.
- Oversee creative, consistent, visual and written messaging.
- Demonstrated experience managing operations and budgets in a not-for-profit art
organization focusing on education.
- Meaningful experience managing and directing development and fundraising programs.
- Demonstrated leadership of faculty, staff, students, and artists. Experience resolving personnel and diversity issues.
- Familiarity with exhibition planning and collections care.
- Experience with marketing and promotion of artists and art programs.
- Experience working with Boards, members, and donors.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com stating why your background and experience makes you the ideal candidate for The Art Students League of New York.
This position is eligible to participate in all insurance, retirement plan, and other fringe benefits offered through The Art Students League of New York, including but not limited to, medical, dental (voluntary), and the Company’s 401(k) and TransitChek programs.
Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact or call.
ABOUT THE ART STUDENTS LEAGUE
The Art Students League of New York was founded in 1875 and remains an institution run by artists in support of artists. The League fulfills its mission by offering accessible, affordable, high quality education and instruction in painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, metal work and mixed media in the context of an Atelier system. There are no entrance requirements, degrees or set curriculum. Students come for a hands-on studio education accessible to anyone who truly aspires to develop as an artist, whether they seek to pursue a profession in the fine arts or are just beginning their artistic journey.
Many famous artists who have shaped the vocabulary of art worldwide have been instructors, lecturers and students at the League. They include Georgia O’Keeffe, Romare Bearden, Jackson Pollock, Carmen Herrera, Robert Rauschenberg, Adrian Piper, Louise Bourgeois, Alexander Calder, James Rosenquist and Ai-Weiwei, among many others.